Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Lights and Tape and Circuits, Oh My!

Maker March continues, and last week in class we got to experiment with a variety of Maker space supplies with a guest speaker. The focus was on circuits, and we had several different ways to make them, including alligator clips and copper tape. This was an entirely new experience for me. My extremely limited previous knowledge of circuits (read: I had no idea what I was doing) didn't stop me from experimenting and having a good time, which is the sort of spirit maker spaces are all about.
The experience in class last week was awesome, but it also made me feel kind of stupid. I felt frustrated that I had no idea how any of these things worked, and that some elementary school students can do. Part of this is that I was more interested in how exactly things worked and more afraid of making mistakes when experimenting than a 5 year old might be.

The result of my experimenting in class...  a copper tape circuit
that lights up 2 LED lights. It's definitely not much, but even this 
small start to a project gave me a sense of accomplishment.

I really wish that I had had Makerspace-like experiences before now. I never got to experiment with making things, or building circuits, or some of the other things we have looked at, and I'm jealous of students now who get those opportunities. Looking back on it now, I think it would have been a worthwhile opportunity. at any stage of my education. My high school has a STEM lab with robotics equipment and other interesting new technology, but it was built after I had already finished my science classes. I'm glad that other girls will have the opportunity to have some of the experiences I am now wishing I had had.

Science is by no means my first love (hence why my major is speech pathology), but I had fun learning a little bit about circuits and getting the chance to build my own. And if I, a 20 year old college student who generally dislikes science, enjoyed this activity, then I think there would definitely be a lot of younger students who would enjoy the same activities. This week has convinced me on the value of Makerspaces in schools and classrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment